The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum is one of the largest archival and museum institutions in Western Europe that is focused on Polish history, particularly in the military sphere, and mainly covering the first half of the 20th century. It was established in 1945 and remained, throughout the Cold War, a repository of Poland’s true history and her contribution to the Allied cause during 1939-45.
The Archives fill some two kilometres of shelving with many important historical documents as well as war diaries, regimental diaries maps and records.
The museum collections include artefacts from various genres and times in Polish history, but with particular emphasis on artefacts and memorabilia from the Second World War.
The film and sound archive houses some 1300 reels of film as well as many sound recordings.
The photograph, book and album collections contain thousands of negatives, photographs, books, chronicles and albums.
The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum is freely open to members of the public on most days of the week, while researchers are welcome by prior appointment. As well as the opening hours to the right, the museum is also open from 10.30am – 4.00pm on the first Saturday of the month.