The purpose of the museum is to tell the story of the GHQ Auxiliary Units of World War 2 and to educate both current and future generations in the role they played in preparing for the likely German invasion.
The museum consists of a main Exhibition Hall built during 2021 to replace the original Nissen Hut which had held the museum since its opening in 1997. Within the Exhibition Hall is a small cinema in which an Introductory film and other appropriate films can be shown. In addition we have a replica underground Operational Base, accessible from the Exhibition Hall, which gives the visitor the opportunity to see what it would have been like for the Operational Patrols if the invasion had come.
The main hall consists of cabinets containing weaponry such as Sten Guns, Thompson SMG, Fairbairn Sykes Commando Fighting Knives and revolvers of various calibre as well as sabotage equipment and documentation. Around the walls are timelines explaining the war in general, how it affected the people of the local area and the various aspects of resistance. Story boards around the hall tell the story of the three elements of the Auxiliary Units, the Scout Sections, Special Duties Section and the Operational Patrols.
The link between the Auxiliary Units and the Special Air Service is shown with particular reference to Operation Bulbasket in which a number of former Auxiliers served.
Every Sunday, from first Sunday in April until last Sunday in October, plus Bank Holiday Mondays: 1100 to 1700.
In addition, during June, July and August, open every Wednesday: 1100 to 1600.
Group visits can be arranged outside normal hours
Please check website before visit for any changes.