The attic floor of the Ancient High House is home to the Staffordshire Yeomanry Regiment Museum, founded in 1794. As a local volunteer force the Yeomanry saw active service for over 200 years. The extensive range of items on display reflects their illustrious and distinguished history.The collection covers the history of this County Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment from its formation in 1794 to 1945. Special emphasis is laid on the World War 2 period where the Yeomanry fought at El Alamein and later took part in the D Day landings and the crossing of the Rhine (in swimming tanks). There is also an excellent collection of Victorian uniforms as well as items from the South African War and the First World War. Throughout there are displays of weapons, medals, pictures, detailed models and audio- visual displays.
Some archives are held on site but the majority are in the County Record Office some 500m away. Consultation by appointment. tel. 01785 278379
The Regimental Archives are held by the Bury St Edmunds branch of Suffolk County Records Office, Tel 01284 741212.
10 minutes walk from the station. By car exit M6 at J13 then A449 or J14 then A34.
Access for the disabled is poor; the museum is located on the attic floor.
Greengate Street, Stafford ST16 2JA