The attic floor of the Ancient High House is home to the Staffordshire Yeomanry Regiment Museum, founded in 1794. As a local volunteer force the Yeomanry saw active service for over 200 years. The extensive range of items on display reflects their illustrious and distinguished history.The collection covers the history of this County Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment from its formation in 1794 to 1945. Special emphasis is laid on the World War 2 period where the Yeomanry fought at El Alamein and later took part in the D Day landings and the crossing of the Rhine (in swimming tanks). There is also an excellent collection of Victorian uniforms as well as items from the South African War and the First World War. Throughout there are displays of weapons, medals, pictures, detailed models and audio- visual displays.
Some archives are held on site but the majority are in the County Record Office some 500m away. Consultation by appointment. tel. 01785 278379