Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Regimental Museum
How to get there:
Enniskillen is the only town in the United Kingdom to have given its name to two Regiments and this museum is an important regimental collection telling their story. The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (Colonel Zachariah Tiffin's Regiment, then 27th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot) originated in 1688-89 and their story is told down to amalgamation in 1968 and beyond, to their successor The Royal Irish Regiment. Founded at the same time , the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards (Colonel Albert Conyingham's Horse, then 6th Inniskilling Dragoons) have their own story told down to amalgamation in 1992. The very recently modernised Museum features a wide range of original uniforms, weapons, silver, medals and regimental memorabilia including eight Victoria Crosses awarded during World War 1 and the bugle that sounded the advance of the 36th (Ulster) Division at the opening of the Battle of the Somme 1st July 1916. The collection is displayed in chronological order in the Keep of Enniskillen Castle. The footprint of this keep goes back to the Tower House of the 15th Century Gaelic clan, the Maguires. A further part of the collection including Military vehicles, a Great War First Aid Station and a Dragoons Blacksmiths Shop are housed in the former stables of the 18th Century Cavalry Barracks adjacent to the Keep. The courtyard features Napoleonic cannons and German Artillery guns. On the ground floor easily accessible by wheel chair is a virtual tour on a screen monitor, which tells the story of the Regiments, and shows images of the museum on the upper two floors. An extensive Regimental library and archive may be viewed by appointment with the Curator.
Royal Irish Regiment,Royal Irish Rangers,Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 27th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot, Colonel Zachariah Tiffin’s Enniskillen Regiment of Foot, 108th (Madras Infantry) Regiment of Foot, 3rd (Madras) European Regiment (Honourable East India Company), The Fermanagh, Donegal and Tyrone Militias.
Tel: 028 6632 3142
Fax: 028 6632 0359