The museum is housed in The Keep, one of Bodmin’s most important historic buildings dating from 1859. Originally built as a military depot for the Cornish Militia and Volunteers, The Keep became the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry headquarters in the 1880s. The barracks site gradually expanded and by the late 19th century there was an officers’ mess, a Sarjeants’ mess, hospital and living quarters for more than 399 officers, soldiers and married soldiers’ families.
Today, The Keep is the only building on the old Bodmin barracks site that remains accessible to the public. It houses the museum with its fine collection of weaponry, uniforms, medals, musical instruments and works of art covering over 300 years of history, from the 32nd of Foot to The Light Infantry. The museum is open all year and has a lively programme of events and activities for all ages.